Friday

Homeless Bill and his dog Fido

I went on my lunch break today. I work in downtown Portland. I passed by two homeless men, eventually walking through a shouting match of two homeless groups. One of the two groups wanted the other to "shut up, bitch". The other side complained that they were on a different block and that "you have Mcdonalds, bitch!" This is in reference to the fact that the local MickyDee's was just down the block (I assume that is a prime spot).

A step back...

I remember when I lived in Fort Collins, Colorado. I would tell friends that I wanted to move to a big city. I need to see "homeless" people, I would say. Well, I got my wish. I am constantly bombarded with homeless people in downtown Portland. In addition to those people that stand at the corner, twirling their binders in their palms, waiting for you to cross the street so they can make you sign something that, always, has to do with the environment, you can't walk down a block without being bothered in one way or the other. My dad told me not to use the word hate unless you mean it. Dad, I mean it - I hate them sons of a bitches.

Back to my thought... Fido.

Most of these homeless people have dogs. I have yet to see a breed of dog below those that would cost a person, like me, hundreds of dollars to buy (Labradors, Pit Bulls, etc...). Where are these people getting them? I think there is some dude breeding dogs, just for homeless people. My problem with this, is that I want a dog. The #1 reason why I don't have a dog is because I can't afford one. How in the hell are these homeless people able to take care of animals like that? Are these dogs getting their shots? Are they healthy? Should dogs be allowed to be captive by those that rely on my change in my pocket (that I work hard for) to feed them and their dogs?



Am I not a better parent to their dog?

Since I go out to eat, therefore walking downtown everyday, I run into the same guy with his dog. He always asks me "to buy him some food". I will never give that guy any money, or buy him food, until that dog is not walking alongside him. I have donated several bucks to people holding signs asking for money. My favorite person is the one that says "good morning" to me (with a smile) when I walk into the local Starbucks for my overpriced cup of coffee. I give him money at least once a week. If he had a dog, fuck him.

I guess I'm jealous of homeless people with dogs.

WAIT!

I remember when I adopted my last pet, Bob The Cat. That little girl, with pet hair all over her uniform, asked me if I would declaw the cat. I said that I thought about doing it in the future. After a lecture on how inhumane and cruel it was to cats, I was not able to adopt my new pet until, not only did I promise not to do it, making me lie, but not until I signed a piece of paper acknowledging this. I would assume it is harder to adopt a dog.

Why the hell do homeless people have dogs when I can't walk out of "homeless shelter" for cats until I prove to, some little piece of crap, that I can lie to her well enough that I "promise" not to declaw my cat.

Is this whole thing wrong? Am I missing something?

No comments: