Wednesday

Man Crush

There he stood just feet in front of me. His blue plaid "rocker" shirt showing off his tattoos. I felt like he was only talking to me, telling me a story; Our eyes making contact every so often. I never thought a man reading would give me goosebumps.

He is an idol, a superstar, a silent mentor of mine. I have been inspired by this man. His name is Joe. He does not know this, still to this day, but I have bought every word of his. Trying to listen to him read from his book, I kept thinking what I should say to him after he was done. If I had one question or a comment, what would it be? Would he like me? Would I melt in his presence like a thirteen year old meeting an American Idol top 12 finalist? Would I seem dumb or anxious? Will I do that weird nervous tick, I found out I had about a month ago, when I touch my head as I speak?

I won't do anything. I wont even approach him, shake his hand. Why bother? One question or one statement of admiration would not be enough for me. I want hours of conversation, him and me, talking about writing. Anyways, he knows I like what he does because I have bought every book he has written. I wouldn't have the balls to tell him how I decided to write my first novel after reading all of his books in a two week page turning adventure. His writing bringing smiles, tears, and inspiration of story to my being. It is rare to find writers with a "voice" that touches your soul. With Joe Meno, I have found it.

There he was, my man crush, standing in front of me. I kept looking back and forth between his fingers and his head. Between those two (or three) body parts is a voice. A voice that tells me that I might have a voice as well. Maybe I can do what he does. Words have more meaning because of him. Story has become clearer, more fun.

I know he does what I do. I only want to do what he does - touch other people with story. That is what every writer wants the chance to do.

No comments: