Wednesday

Darn that American Idol

Is it wrong to watch American idol? Yes, it is. We have so much more to worry about. We have so many other options to get away from our daily life, to escape. What is worse, is ignoring that the show exists and why it is so popular. It is about young Americans throwing everything out, through (multiple) auditions, showing their true voice. Whenever people do that, it brings an audience.

The writers audience doesn’t always include actual people. Simon Cowell doesn’t sit in front of writers as they peck at their keyboards waiting for a good review, or a British crack of how bad that last sentence, or line of dialogue was. Writers, on all levels, face our inner demons through every sentence, act break, quick line of dialogue, and sequence of scenes. It is ultimately about the story as a whole. The young twenty something’s on American Idol don’t know what lies ahead of them, but they know, when they step on that stage, they believe that they can be a professional singer. In reality (in spec writing terms), they are thinking that they can be the next writing sensation.

I am your next American Idol.

Today I spent a couple hours writing. Hundreds of thousand of writers (paid or unpaid) did the same. It is us on that page. I’m am one of those belting out something from inside me. I may be that guy who thinks he has a wonderful voice but, to others, it is “bloody awful”. I might be that person with an amazing voice and stage presence, but is too shy to try out.

It doesn’t really matter does it? We are all artist trying to get our voice heard and/or throwing ourselves out there, through art.

I may not have “the chops”, but at least I am trying. With that, I go to sleep with a smile on my face and an understanding, that before that character presented him or herself on the page, he or she didn't have a voice.

No comments: