Tuesday

My Boy Interrupted

I watched the documentary,"Boy Interrupted" again. It is about a thirteen year old boy that committed suicide. He was diagnosed with a severe case of depression. The thing that caught a hold of me, waking me up at night, is that he was creative. He wrote his own plays and, excuse me, an extraordinary suicide note. He was more creative (felt more) than the normal person.

I wrote a screenplay, before seeing this movie, about a boy that was put on drugs after his mother's death (He may have caused it). The theme of the screenplay was that he discovered his imagination after being placed on mind altering drugs.

As I go about re-writing the screenplay, I cannot be more influenced by this kids life. I think this young kid opened up my character. He resurrected him. In a way, I think I was meant to see this documentary to better understand the character I wrote. I'm ashamed of this, but inspiration comes in all forms. I may become a better writer because of this kid's death.

This is not the first time an artist has been influenced by other people's lives. Obviously. I may never be paid for this screenplay. Or, I may be influenced enough to write an amazing story, channeling this kid's life, therefore, giving me a pass in the line of the million of screenwriters ahead of me that are close to seeing their dream come true.

I can see him walking up to me in my dream and leading me to write an amazing screenplay that can actually sell. I can also see him laughing, as he says, "You just don't get it. I gave you a way in, a gift. I won't forgive you."

This an artist's attempt to be bigger than an actual person's life. It's not egotistical. It's about taking anything that influences our creativity.


Artists, including writers, draw things from their own experiences, what they see, and what they read. We are not able to disregard the biggest, or even the smallest details of human existence.

In a small, but painful way, I thank my brother for giving up on me. I have been able to look through blurry, tearful eyes and shaking hands, to write stories that make me feel.

"The Boy Interrupted" made me fee as well. I only wish I can channel his loss, to creating characters that others (and I mean publishers or anybody connected to making films) will find worth the chance.

No comments: