Saturday

I Do Love my Sleepy Time

One of the biggest road blocks for wann-a-be writers like me is to balance work with writing. To me, writing is my career. Right now I am far from getting any money for my writing. That being said, I have to work to live. The question for writers who have to work full time jobs is when do you get the time to write. I believe you have to spend just as much time, if not more, writing just as much as you work. The problem with putting in the time is that there are only so many opportunities for fun, and more importantly, sleep.

I love sleep. I love going to bed. I also like to stay up late and wake up at the last minute possible before I have to go to work. After work, I always need some 'me' time which means doing the extra curricular activities I mentioned in my last blog posting - relaxing time after work. I guess the good thing for me is that my full time job is, basically, stress free. I rarely "take my work home with me".

I hear, or have read that it people with full time jobs should get up early and write before going to work. I just can't do that. I have, at least a dozen times told myself that I need to get up early and write. I just haven't been able to do that. Those countless times I have stayed up writing five to twelve hours until the sun came up the next day before I either can't see straight or have to get up the next morning, I see as productive. Some of my best writing has come during those all night sessions. I have also looked at what I wrote the next day and thought to myself, "What the hell was I thinking?"

I will, at this moment in my life, committ to writing in the morning. Whether or not I do this... NO! stop thinking that way. I will do it.

I read a cool article/blog regarding this issue. Here is the link...
http://davidanaxagoras.com/2008/07/13/how-to-keep-your-day-job-from-killing-your-writing-career/

Thanks David

No comments: