Friday

Why I write (Thank you A. Chekhov)

I love when writers talk about why they write. When reading articles about writers, I always hope a question will be asked to them why writing is important to them - why they do what they do.

I read a passage from one of my personal literary heroes, Anton Chekhov. Chekhov, in my opinion, is the best minimalist short story writer that ever lived (Raymond Carver is a close second). Anton Chekhov wrote,

“Has it ever happened to you to experience a feeling as though some unseen force were drawing you out longer and longer? You are drawn out and turn into the finest wire. Subjectively this finds expression in a curious voluptuous feeling which is impossible to compare to anything.” - Chekhov, from “A Woman’s Kingdom”

When I’m writing I get that “…curious voluptuous feeling which is impossible to compare to anything.” It just grabs you, story (the unseen force). Why would anybody not want to create a world where characters can move your imagination past a place you never thought possible?

I will continue my pursuit of writing so others can tap into the joy I feel from the point where the idea of the story comes to me and I ask, “how can I make this story so enjoyable, and I hope memorable, that the reader of my words can not only feel something for just a few moments, but when I’m finished, my story has taken the reader out of a world that just isn’t working for them, for a fleeting moment.

Back to my words…

No comments: