Monday

The Oscars

I have many comments about the outcome of the Oscars. Since this blog is specifically and intentionally about writing, I have a few comments…

First of all, I thought it was a brilliant show - good writing (yes, even the Oscars are written). Well done.

Second of all, I was so happy to see that they decided to do the categories in steps… from the beginning to the end, of how movies are made. As a screenwriter, I was happy to see that the screenwriting categories were given out early in the show (see my earlier blogs regarding the nominees). I was most proud to see how the writers of the show decided to go about presenting the screenwriting nominees by including the words of the screenwriters along with the actors, on screen.

My mom, whom every word I write goes through first, always says how hard it is to read screenplays. I hope this presentation, the Oscars deciding to go with, helps her be more comfortable with the words I, proudly, give her to read. Screenplays are written for the screen. It is hard to see the words unless you are able to connect the words with images. The 2009 Oscar show was able to do this. I only hope she was watching. I value her opinion more than anybody.

The last, and most important comment I would make… is a big one. Endings.

Every person who wants to be a (successful) screenwriter, reads Syd Field’s “Screenplay - The Foundations of Screenwriting”. It is the first book I bought and read regarding screenwriting. The first thing that made me think that reading his book wasn’t necessary, was that he insisted (my words) that you know the ending of every screenplay you write.

Bullocks, I thought.

I reached back into my memory of watching the Oscars. Every time, I can remember, they rushed through the last three categories… Best Lead Actor, Best Lead Actress, and Best Picture.

In a three hour extravaganza, why do they rush the three most (excluding the screenwriting) categories in a ten minute period? The answer is simple… they want to keep the audience’s attention as long as possible. That is why the break up the categories in between musical/crap pieces.

RE: the Ending.

We are all waiting for the winners. We want an ending. We want to know the winners and losers of the biggest races. We want to turn off the TV with an answer - a solution. It’s the same with movies.

Oh Crap! I just made a discovery (in my own mind). The Oscars are presented just like a movie. It is structured just like a film (My fascination with screenwriting structure continues). There’s an introduction (the main character/host invites us to take a journey with him)… our interests are peaked by giving a Supporting Actress award (inciting incident)… They tease us with the Best Directing award, until finally giving it… and they go to the end of the second act by presenting the audience with those great actors that pasted away - in a montage. We are all, emotionally, engaged with what will happen next. One more twist before the big categories go out…

The Supporting Actor category followed by…

The ending.

God Bless movies/story

No comments: